The chemicals plant in Piesteritz was a beacon for progress from the start.
You can see why in the current special exhibition on its 100-year history. The founding of the "Imperial Nitrogen Works" in 1915 was already a special event. The construction only took nine months - in the middle of the First World War. A whole series of world firsts - in both production plant and processes - followed in the next few decades.
At the beginning of the 1970s the company changed its strategy. It moved away from the earlier carbide-based chemicals to the more efficient and ecological plants based on natural gas, and the company SKW Stickstoffwerke Piesteritz GmbH was founded in 1993.
In 2005 it became a subsidiary of the Agrofert Group and consolidated its position as Germany's largest producer of urea and ammonia. Its watchword from then on was customer-based research. The company's social involvement is the talk of the town. With its support for apprenticeships, vocational training, social institutions for child care and medical services, the company renders an important contribution for Wittenberg and the region.